[gdal-dev] create classified PNG from ASCIIGrid

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:01:45 EDT 2011

The closest thing you can do without doing any coding is to use the
gdal_contour utility[1] to create a vector file and then use gdal_rasterize
[2] to burn them back to a raster. If you use appropriate options, all your
pixels will be clamped to the discrete levels used in gdal_contour. It's
straight forward to apply a color table to that.

If you want to do this using a script, refer to the gdal API tutorial[3].
You'll have to do the classification while you read and write the pixels
using GDALRasterIO(). You can set the color table too.

Note that there may be some differences along the edges of classified pixels
between these two methods. The lines generated by gdal_contour may go
through the area of a pixel and could change the burn value.

[1]: http://www.gdal.org/gdal_contour.html
[2]: http://www.gdal.org/gdal_rasterize.html
[3]: http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html

Chaitanya kumar CH.