[gdal-dev] JAXAPalsar 1.0 & 1.1 extended metadata reading support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jun 26 07:42:22 EDT 2011

On 11-06-26 06:34 AM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Il 18/06/2011 14:38, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
>> On 11-06-18 02:59 AM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
>
> [CUT]
>
>>> Palsar products are in CEOS format so IMHO it would be nice to setup a
>>> general mechanism to decode CEOS records (a similar job has been done
>>> for ENVISAT records recently)
>
> [CUT]
>
>> There is already a generic SAR CEOS driver (gdal/frmts/ceos2) with a CEOS
>> record parsing mechanism.  If that is what you want, please start from it.
>> For reasons not immediately obvious to me Phil chose to build a specific
>> JAXA Palsar driver but please think twice before building it out into a
>> full
>> generic CEOS driver duplicating what already exists.
>
> Looking deeper into the ceos2 code it seems to me that the "recipe" for
> decoding ALOS-PALSAR products do not match at all specifications I can
> find at
>
> http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/doc/fdata/PALSAR_L10_J_ENa.zip
>
> Does that recipe refers to another format specification document?

Antonio,

I don't know.

> Also, regarding the ceos2 driver in general, I didn't find an obvious
> way to support CEOS products with multiple image files (like multi
> polarization PALSAR or ALOS PRISM).

Ah, that may well have been part of Phil's rationale for handling
multi-polarization data with custom drivers.  I don't know how hard
it would be to do so within the existing SAR_CEOS driver.

Possibly you could set up a multi-polarization driver based on the
low level ceos2 code but with a somewhat different recipe mechanism?