[gdal-dev] How to apply a costum shift grid?

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Tue Jun 28 12:15:54 EDT 2011

Frederick,

I'm a geophysicist but never thought that an earthquake could have that
side effect of image referencing.
Anyway the horizontal deformation caused by a big earthquake is of the
order of meter scale. One idea I had is that you can use the shift grid
to to relocate previous GCPs and than use those relocated ones in
gdalwarp. You can compute 'old' GCPs by interpolating your images both
for pixels and metric (UTM) units. The operations would be something
like this

1. Get  "px py old_UTMx old_UTMy" by interpolating the referenced image
at a certain well distributed positions
2. apply the shift grid to old GCPs and get  new GCPs "px py new_UTMx
new_UTMy"
2. re-register with gdalwarp and new GCPs

Of course, this is in absence of a more straight solution where the
shift grid is applied directly to the images.

Joaquim Luis