[gdal-dev] Rotate unreferenced tiff file by -90 degrees

Wesley Roberts WRoberts at csir.co.za
Thu Mar 17 05:09:36 EDT 2011

Dear gdal'ers

I am working with TRMM rainfall data from an HDF5 file (converted from hdf4 to hdf5). I am able to use gdal_translate to extract the gridded data from the HDF file using the following command.

gdal_translate -of GTiff "HDF5:"3A25.071201.6A.h5"://DATA_GRANULE/PlanetaryGrid2/e_surfRainMean2" test.tif

Gdal_translate works a treat and writes out the test.tif file perfectly, however, the file is unreferenced and needs to be rotated by -90 degrees. Is it possible to do this using gdal_translate or do I need to make use of gdalwarp as well? My tiff world file needs to look something like this

       0.500000
        0.0000000
       0.0000000
      -0.500000
    -179.750000
      36.750000

Am I correct in assuming that a suitable proj4 statement might do the trick, wrt assigning projection info and defining rotation? If so can someone point me towards a document explaining the various proj4 declaration parameters, or give me some advice on how to go about getting the data properly referenced.

I can complete the task using ENVI but I would far rather write a bash script to get it all done in four or five lines of code.

Thanking you in advance

Wesley

Wesley Roberts PhD.
Researcher: Earth Observation
Natural Resources & the Environment (NRE)
CSIR
Tel: +27 (0)21 888-2490
Fax: +27 (0)21 888-2693
skype: roberts-w