[gdal-dev] OGR S57 write support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 29 17:31:42 EDT 2011

On 11-03-29 03:38 PM, slava_l wrote:
> Good day everyone!
>
> I am a new OGR user, using S57 driver to write some data (like soundings and
> isobaths).
> Could somebody help me to find any docs or provide some example how to write
> isobath into the file?
> I can't find any docs neither over the Internet nor at the GDAL.org
>
> Actually, I made S57 file but it's definitely does not match S57 IHO
> standard. I don't understand how could I make correct Eage record and fill
> FOID and some other fields.

Slava,

Producing S-57 files is quite involved.  The default support in ogr2ogr really
depends on you having the data already in exactly the S-57 data model.  This
can work when transforming from S-57 to S-57 but otherwise is very
very difficult.

Are you hoping to write S-57 files with ogr2ogr?  A script?  A C++ program?

I did once write a small c++ program to write files with just soundings but
I can't seem to find the source code now.  Normally a task like this would
either require a serious S-57 expert or you would need to contract someone
like me to assist and it would be somewhat expensive.