[gdal-dev] GDAL Java bindings, using gdal plugins under Windows

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Mon May 2 08:14:26 EDT 2011

Hello all

I tried to use GDAL plugins via the Java bindings under Windows. The compiled GDAL libraries are the ones taken from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/, I used the "release-1400-gdal-1-8-0-mapserver-5-6-6" built.

Compilation of the sample gdalinfo.java worked fine and I can apply it on a Tiff file. It does not work however for formats supplied via the plugins dll's. Following the description from the site I set the environment variable GDAL_DRIVER_PATH pointing to the directory with the plugin dll's.

But when running the gdalinfo eg. on an ECW file I get the error

ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL: X:\gdal\gdalplugins\gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll
127: The specified procedure could not be found.

So it looks for the correct dll in the right place, but cannot use it.

Is the usage of the plugins not supported via the Java bindings? It works fine when I use the gdalinfo.exe file.

Thanks in advance for any hints
Armin