[gdal-dev] Re: Wiki page about CMake for GDAL

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 1 16:39:34 EDT 2011

2011/11/1 Jayesh Chaudhary <aashishcy at gmail.com>:
> Hi Mateusz I just realized that somehow my email got stuck in my outbox.
> I like  what you have proposed.

Great. I'd love to receive critique of the proposed approach.
There must be some weakness of it :-)

>  I just wanted to add one or two points. How
> can I get write permissions for the Wiki?

As Etienne pointed, you need OSGeo User ID

> Also as far as dependencies of GDAL driver's  are concerned,  we can
> probably manage them using CMake superbuild support.

I have never heard of CMake superbuild support.
Where can I learn more?

> Also I wanted to point out that, I had started cmake port of gdal last year
> which is based on your work:
> https://gitorious.org/cmake-gdal

I see. I have seen this repo and I was wondering what is this about.

The cmake-gdal that used to be hosted at Google Code was a good proof
of concept,
but I wasn't particularly happy about structure of the configuration.
So, I wanted to find out how to make it more manageable - this is
important property
of build configuration of large project. GDAL is large.
So, I went out and looked for examples. I found Boost CMake
(http://gitorious.org/boost/cmake)
I analysed their CMake configuration and code and I replicated the
ideas I'd found
most interesting for my purpose.
That's how I came up with the configuration of SOCI.

By the way, I'm not sure I remember correctly, but Kitware seem to be
interested in supporting
CMake for Boost in frame of Ryppl project
("In a recent meeting between Ryppl developers and Kitware (...)"
http://ryppl.org/milestones/ )

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org