[gdal-dev] Resquest for comments (RFC 36)

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 23:55:27 EDT 2011

What happens when a user tries to open a file named "hfa:example_file.img"
the current way when there is also a file name "example_file.img"?

What if we try to reorder the driver list according to the file extension?

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com>wrote:

> On 11-10-03 10:04 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>

>> I believe that is because it is hard to know if HFA:test.tif was really
>> something other than a request for the HFA driver.  It could actually
>> be a file named "HFA:test.tif" or it could be that another driver happens
>> to use the HFA: prefix to mean something.   I believe this is an
>> effort to avoid failure in these cases.
>>

> Um... the best I can say then is -0 in the hope that we can find a better
> delimiter or syntax. Unfortunately I just can't come up with a better option
> at the moment.
>

>> I'm not convinced that this is necessary.  I have had a hope for
>> some time to provide a standard way of binding up open options,
>> including the driver name, for OGR as demonstrated by a
>> request like:
>>
>>   @driver=ingres,dbname=test
>>

> Unfortunately "@driver=ingres,dbname=test.**tif" is also a valid filename,
> so we'd have the same problem as with "HFA:test.tif" above.
>
> I also think it is important to be consistent between GDAL and OGR for
> something like this.
>
> Once again, I'm not trying to kill the idea, just pointing the flaws in the
> hope that the someone in the group will find a more predictable mechanism.
>

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> http://www.mapgears.com/
> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E