[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:52:16 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Antonio Valentino
<antonio.valentino at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi Etienne,
>
> Il giorno Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:17:34 -0300
> Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Antonio Valentino
>> <antonio.valentino at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> > Hi Etienne,

>> > IMHO the trick is using a separate branch for developing new
>> > features in order to be able to use git freely.
>>

>> Is there a way to create a git repo from a subdirectory of the svn?
>
> Yes:
>
> $ git svn clone https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/frmts/netcdf

Thanks! that's what I thought

>> I'm not sure such a thing is possible, because the git stuff is at the
>> root of the source tree
>>
>> I really just need the frmts/netcdf directory, which is the best
>> option (and which is possible)?
>>
>> 1) get a clone of just that directory using git svn ; create a branch;
>> push to a new git repos
>> 2) get a clone of the full source tree using git svn ; create a branch
>> ; push the subdirectory to a new git repos
>>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>
> I'm not sure to understand what do you want.
> If you clone the entire repo and then you create a branch, the new
> branch will include the complete source tree (I suppose).

What I meant was, can I clone the entire repo, but only create a git
repo with just the subdirectory?

This way I can have the entire source tree within my git-svn setup,
but I don't have to copy the entire source when I create a new repo on
git, and any new branches I would create.