[gdal-dev] sandbox access for non-commiters

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Fri Oct 7 12:14:41 EDT 2011

Hi Etienne,

Il giorno Fri, 7 Oct 2011 12:52:16 -0300
Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Antonio Valentino
> <antonio.valentino at tiscali.it> wrote:
> > Hi Etienne,
> >
> > Il giorno Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:17:34 -0300
> > Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> ha scritto:

[CUT]

> >> Is there a way to create a git repo from a subdirectory of the svn?
> >
> > Yes:
> >
> > $ git svn clone https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/frmts/netcdf
> >

> Thanks! that's what I thought
>

> >> I'm not sure such a thing is possible, because the git stuff is at
> >> the root of the source tree
> >>
> >> I really just need the frmts/netcdf directory, which is the best
> >> option (and which is possible)?
> >>
> >> 1) get a clone of just that directory using git svn ; create a
> >> branch; push to a new git repos
> >> 2) get a clone of the full source tree using git svn ; create a
> >> branch ; push the subdirectory to a new git repos
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> Etienne
> >
> > I'm not sure to understand what do you want.
> > If you clone the entire repo and then you create a branch, the new
> > branch will include the complete source tree (I suppose).
> >

> What I meant was, can I clone the entire repo, but only create a git
> repo with just the subdirectory?

Of course you can if you start the repo from scratch (no clone).
But in this case you would loose the ability to synchronize repos.
I guess this is not what you want.

> This way I can have the entire source tree within my git-svn setup,
> but I don't have to copy the entire source when I create a new repo on
> git, and any new branches I would create.

Well, branching is very very very space and time efficient in DVCS.
Only differences between branches are recorded.

If you have a clone of the entire repo IMHO you have no need to create
a new repo for a sub-tree.

Just
* branch
* edit
* commit
* switch between branches using git checkout
* ...

regards

--
Antonio Valentino