[gdal-dev] Re: ESRI products have problems reading gdal spatialreference entry

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Mon Sep 5 13:46:31 EDT 2011

On 05/09/2011 16:03, Schmitz, Uwe wrote:

> I wonder, if anyone else has experienced this or
> similar behaviour. And how can I achieve that
> ESRI- *and* gdal-Tools can identify the correct
> reference system.

What I asked on this list some weeks ago:

--- snip ---
  From experience, I know that ESRI users have trouble with some
projection and parameter names generated by GDAL and vice versa. Is it
possible to convince GDAL to store coordinate system information in a
way that would be "ESRI-friendly" and "GDAL-friendly" at the same time?

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/gdal-dev-gdal-translate-eats-projection-parameter-values-td6680528.html#d1313170021000-317

--- snip ---

My understanding of Frank's answer is that this is basically not possible.

Hermann