AW: [gdal-dev] AW: ESRI products have problems reading gdalspatialreference entry

Schmitz, Uwe uwe.schmitz at bezreg-koeln.nrw.de
Wed Sep 7 06:13:49 EDT 2011

Frank,

> > So if I conclude:
> > ESRI and GDAL have different WKT formats. It is not
> > possible to write GeoTIFF files which are fully
> > ESRI *and* GDAL compatible.
>
> Uwe,
>
> I do not agree with this conclusion!  However, it is
> difficult to produce a GeoTIFF file that will exactly
> preserve and ESRI Project Engine string (ie. ESRI WKT)
> while at the same time being fully compatible with all
> other software.  The issues are primarily around limits
> of the GeoTIFF format, and to some extend somewhat
> incomplete code implementations in GDAL / ArcGIS.

what means difficult? I'm willing to invest in this,
if it's possible at all.

> > A workaround may be to use ArcGIS's GDAL support
> > for GeoTIFF.
>
> I am not sure what this means exactly.  ArcGIS now always
> uses GDAL for reading and writing GeoTIFF.

Ok, as I said, I'm not an ArcGIS expert. Some years ago, as
I looked deeper into it, gdal was an option for
reading rasters. Nice to hear that this has changed.
I had the illusion that this could solve the spatialreference
problem, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Uwe