[gdal-dev] AW: ESRI products have problems reading gdal spatialreference entry

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 11:39:54 EDT 2011

On 11-09-06 12:54 AM, Schmitz, Uwe wrote:
>> On 05/09/2011 16:03, Schmitz, Uwe wrote:
>> My understanding of Frank's answer is that this is basically
>> not possible.
>>
> thanks for the link. It clarifies the problem but is
> unsatisfactory. I must have missed this thread beforehand,
> maybe due to the subject ;-)
>
> So if I conclude:
> ESRI and GDAL have different WKT formats. It is not
> possible to write GeoTIFF files which are fully
> ESRI *and* GDAL compatible.

Uwe,

I do not agree with this conclusion!  However, it is
difficult to produce a GeoTIFF file that will exactly
preserve and ESRI Project Engine string (ie. ESRI WKT)
while at the same time being fully compatible with all
other software.  The issues are primarily around limits
of the GeoTIFF format, and to some extend somewhat
incomplete code implementations in GDAL / ArcGIS.

> A workaround may be to use ArcGIS's GDAL support
> for GeoTIFF.

I am not sure what this means exactly.  ArcGIS now always
uses GDAL for reading and writing GeoTIFF.