[gdal-dev] RPC Transform Error: ERROR 1: latitude or longitude exceeded limits

Claire Porter claire.porter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 10:12:28 EDT 2012

Dmitry (and the list),

Using the warp options you suggested does not make a difference.  Even
SAMPLE_GRID does not significantly change the output.  I also tried using
wgs84 as the output coordinate system in case it was an issue of being
projected into Polar Stereographic: no luck.

I copied the relevant functions from gdal_rpc.cpp into python order to test
the RPC calculations independant of the warping functions and any
projection system.  I used a sampling grid over the whole extent of
whatever test image and found that the RPCs do not converge for any part of
the error-prone images  In fact, with each iteration the offset from the
original pixel gets further and further from zero (alternating sign each
iteration).

>From these tests, I am guessing that the issue is not the sampling or the
projection system.  Since other software packages can handle these images,
I assume then that the issue is in how gdal is managing the RPCs.  Any
ideas?

Many thanks,
Claire