[gdal-dev] Call for discussion for "RFC38 - OGR Faster Open"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Apr 14 16:40:05 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Le samedi 14 avril 2012 22:21:53, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
>> Even,
>>
>> I am generally in favor of this, but I aspire in GDAL 2.0 to migrate
>> OGR to using GDALDriver mechanisms which would include being based
>> around GDALOpenInfo.  I am not sure if it is better to make the
>> GDALOpenInfo change as part of that broader effort or as a distinct
>> RFC and work item.
>
> What do you call "using GDALDriver mechanisms" exactly ?
>
> Because I don't see how we can make OGRSFDriver extend GDALDriver if that's
> what you have in mind...

Even,

My intention is that OGRSFDriver would go away and
OGR drivers would be registered with GDALDriverManager
the same way GDAL drivers are.  This would go along with
changes to OGRDataSource, possibly making it a subclass
of GDALDataset or perhaps a new super class of GDALDataset.

Well, my thinking on this is all still half baked, but the goal is
that OGR will have all the benefits of GDAL's metadata and
driver manager and I even dream of being able ot have one
dataset object with raster bands and vector layers for
things like a PCIDSK file.

Of course there will be some disruption - I think particularly
on the OGR side which is why I have waited for 2.0.

I hope to prepare some sort of roadmap for this in coming
weeks.