[gdal-dev] Topology Exceptions on Non-Noded Intersections

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 11 12:33:06 PDT 2012

Then maybe I am explaining this problem wrong. If a polygon contains points that are close to -180 and 180 then things like MapKit
on IOS don't paint it correctly, instead taking the portion that crosses the line and stretching it around the world. In other
words, the shortest distance between something like -178 and 178 is not of length 4 but greater than 300 as it wraps around.

Is there a different solution that I can try to fix this problem?

Thank you for letting me know about GEOS possibly being out of date. I suppose I'll need to build that from source to get any newer,
as that's the latest in Ubuntu 12.04s repository.

Also, thank you for taking the time to download that dataset and try it out.

I've updated the StackExchange question with your findings:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/30922/how-do-i-split-polygons-that-cross-the-dateline

any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

Take care,
Sina

Website: www.SinaBahram.com