[gdal-dev] 32 and 64-bit python bindings concurrently?

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:16:12 PDT 2012

List,

I have a number of python scripts leveraging gdal, numpy, and scipy.  It
is necessary, if possible, to support machines which utilize both 32 and 64
bit python installations.  The newest ArcGIS10.1 background geoprocessing
is a perfect example of this, where processes run within arc utilize 32-bit
pyhton 2.7 and processes run in the background open a new instance of
64-bit python2.7.

As a tool writer, it would be great to be able to support both 32-bit
foreground processing and 64-bit background processing which leverages
gdal.  The issue I am currently having is in supporting the python bindings
for both.

A few questions:
Can a 64-bit installation of gdal support the 32-bit python bindings, ie is
a universal binary buildable?
Is it possible to support both 32 and 63 bit installations of the python
bindings?  Does this require both a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation of the
gdal core package?
If it is possible to support both, what order do I need to append my path
in?  Currently I have the gdal install directory first to avoid dll loading
issues (from an earlier mail).

Thanks,
Jay