[gdal-dev] 32 and 64-bit python bindings concurrently?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Aug 20 12:24:07 PDT 2012

> A few questions:
> Can a 64-bit installation of gdal support the 32-bit python bindings, ie is
> a universal binary buildable?

Not sure what you mean by "universal binary" (this is a OSX concept, but I'm
not aware it exists for Windows), but the most general answer is : No

The python bindings contain DLL, that must have the same bit size as the GDAL
core DLL.

A 64bit DLL cannot link with a 32bit DLL, and vice versa.

> Is it possible to support both 32 and 63 bit installations of the python
> bindings?

If you install them in separate locations, yes

> Does this require both a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation of the
> gdal core package?

Yes, according to above

> If it is possible to support both, what order do I need to append my path
> in?  Currently I have the gdal install directory first to avoid dll loading
> issues (from an earlier mail).

I would believe that you can put the paths to the 32bit and 64bit binaries and
that the windows loader will select the right version, but I'm not sure at
all. That might require confirmation by experimenting