[gdal-dev] WKT for epsg:3857 generated by epsg_tr.py

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net
Fri Dec 14 01:18:55 PST 2012

On 14-12-12 10:10, Even Rouault wrote:
> Selon Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net>:
> I also believe that the current WKT definition is known to be a bit hackish (is
> there some official/generally agreed name for the projection that should be used
> ?). But you are probably using not the most recent version of GDAL, since recent
> versions include a PROJ4 EXTENSION node that will have the correct definition
> for EPSG:3857 (which has been hardcoded)
I was using gdal 1.9.0. I snipped out the extension bit for brevity.
Didn't make much difference in the end so I probably shouldn't have done
that.

The 'official' name in the EPSG database is 'Popular Visualisation
Pseudo Mercator' (method EPSG:1024). Geotoolkit apparently uses this
name [1]. The OSM wiki tells you to use 'Mercator_1SP_Google' [2]

Pepijn

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geotoolkit/2011-March/000544.html
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mercator#PostGIS_.2F_SQL