[gdal-dev] gdalwarp - trouble projecting from EPSG:4326 to EPSG:3857

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 27 15:31:50 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to project a raster from EPSG:4326 to EPSG:3857 and I get the following error:

> gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:3857 -of GTiff
  -dstnodata 255 vc_2006.tif vc_2006_2.tif

ERROR 1: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
ERROR 1: GDALSuggestedWarpOutput() failed because the passed
  transformer failed.

I've seen many threads that have this same error and, from what I've seen, the common problems are an incorrect/missing PROJ.4 library or the PROJ_LIB env. variable not being set.  But I've been able to use gdalwarp to convert between many other PCSs, including ones that have include NAD27/NAD83 in their definition.  I'm unclear why this error would appear given that the NAD27-83 correction shouldn't even impact this particular projection?

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, using gdal 1.7 branch (r19510) and proj 4.4.6 so it's a bit old - could that be an issue?  Or am I not understanding how this projection should work.  Note that I get the same problem using EPSG:3785.

Thanks for any help.
matt