[gdal-dev] gdalwarp - trouble projecting from EPSG:4326 to EPSG:3857

Matt Gregory matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Mon Dec 31 14:03:39 PST 2012

On 12/27/2012 3:31 PM, Gregory, Matthew wrote:
> I'm trying to project a raster from EPSG:4326 to EPSG:3857 and I get the following error:
>
>> gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:3857 -of GTiff
>    -dstnodata 255 vc_2006.tif vc_2006_2.tif
>
> ERROR 1: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> ERROR 1: GDALSuggestedWarpOutput() failed because the passed
>    transformer failed.
>
> I've seen many threads that have this same error and, from what I've seen, the common problems are an incorrect/missing PROJ.4 library or the PROJ_LIB env. variable not being set.  But I've been able to use gdalwarp to convert between many other PCSs, including ones that have include NAD27/NAD83 in their definition.  I'm unclear why this error would appear given that the NAD27-83 correction shouldn't even impact this particular projection?
>
> I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, using gdal 1.7 branch (r19510) and proj 4.4.6 so it's a bit old - could that be an issue?  Or am I not understanding how this projection should work.  Note that I get the same problem using EPSG:3785.

It turns out that my old version of PROJ.4 (specifically proj.dll) was
to blame.  I updated to 4.8.0 (from OSGEO4W) and it works fine against
GDAL 1.7.2 and 1.7.3.

(I did note that the last Windows binaries built for PROJ.4 on the
webpage are version 4.4.6 which causes the error.  Is there a better
place to get the binaries and/or should a new set of binaries be built?)

FWIW, matt