[gdal-dev] read a catalog is slower then directly the raster ?

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 05:37:12 EST 2012

Hi,

Unfortunately I was unable to test with GDB.
My skill was not enough :(

However I try other ways.

I will use a utility to test the disk activity and after put the qgis
canvas on a little portion of land covered I add the catalog.vrt.
Using this utility I can see that qggis try to open all the raster instead
of open only the single raster necessary to visualize the portion of land
in the canvas.

After this I see the xml in the catalog:

<SimpleSource>
  <SourceFilename relativeToVRT="0">F:\....\216110_2010.ecw</SourceFilename>
      <SourceBand>1</SourceBand>
      <SourceProperties RasterXSize="13900" RasterYSize="11760"
DataType="Byte" BlockXSize="13900" BlockYSize="1" />
      <SrcRect xOff="0" yOff="0" xSize="13900" ySize="11760" />
      <DstRect xOff="26320" yOff="140" xSize="13900" ySize="11760" />
    </SimpleSource>

And I notice also that the catalog don't store on every tag of a raster the
single bbox of that raster.
So qgis necessary must open all the raster to understand what raster is on
the visible portion on the canvas.

I guess this is a good reason to explain because it is so slow when in the
catalog there and many hundred of rasters.

Unfortunately I don't find any option in gdalbuildvrt to add the extension
of every raster in the catalog.

Andrea.

--
Andrea Peri