[gdal-dev] [NEW] Multi-threaded warping

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Jun 10 13:44:51 PDT 2012

Hi,

I've just commited in trunk the capability of doing multi-threaded warping.
There was already a -multi option of gdalwarp that was used to parallelize I/O
operations and warping computations. There's now a NUM_THREADS warping option
that can be used to set the number of threads to parallelize the warping
computations themselves. The value can be either a numeric value or ALL_CPUS
to use all the available CPUs/cores. The best performance is achieved when
used in combination with PROJ 4.8.0 or later, which allow SRS transformations
to be done in parallel (when an older version is used, GDAL uses a global
mutex to serialize SRS transformations). The new option is of course mostly
useful when warping is CPU bound, for example when using complex warping
kernels, such as cubic or lanczos.

For example :

gdalwarp [-multi] src.tif dst.tif -wo NUM_THREADS=ALL_CPUS

Please test and report if you have issues.

Best regards,

Even