[gdal-dev] translate ecw to geotiff + tfw

Steve G stevenlgolden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:03:12 PDT 2012

Thanks for your suggestion.

It got me thinking about the projection and other geo information stored in
the header data within the ECW file.  I previously had trouble with various
GIS/mapping applications being able to display ECW files properly
(projection, extent, etc) and applications like ESRI was automatically
creating an xml file that stores some of this information after reading the
ECW file.  In the end, the only thing that worked for me and through various
combinations of other applications, was for each ECW file I have an
associated ".ecw.aux.xml", ".ecw.xml", and ".xml" file.  Each contains
projection, extent, etc. data in a slightly different format.

When I use gdal translate with the tfw=yes creation option and choose an ECW
file in a folder with all the other xml files, the tfw file is not created.
However, I copied the ECW to an empty folder without the xml files, ran the
same gdal translate function and the tfw file was created.

So, my conclusion is that the extra xml files is somehow impacting the
creation of the tfw file.  Not sure why or how, but perhaps this information
will help someone else trying to do a similar translate.  Also, this only
seems to be the case with ECW files.  I have a similar file structure with
SID files (also has associated xml files) and it was able to create the tfw
file just fine.