[gdal-dev] OGR 1.9.0 won't open DGN file

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jun 20 03:56:10 PDT 2012

Selon Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za>:

> Hi,
> I have some DGN v7 files with contours, and I wish to add up the total
> length of all the contours in the file.
>
> Using:
> zls at gs0:~/ngi10k/ngi10k_geo$ ogrinfo --version
> GDAL 1.9.0, released 2011/12/29
>
> I get:
> zls at gs0:~/ngi10k/ngi10k_geo$ ogrinfo 3117bb_lin_v7.dgn
> INFO: Open of `3117bb_lin_v7.dgn'
>        using driver `DGN' successful.
> 1: elements
> zls at gs0:~/ngi10k/ngi10k_geo$
>
> If I use parameters -so or -q or -geom=SUMMARY then I get the same
> error,

Which error ? The output of the above commands looks right. There is no error as
far as I can see...

> but if I use parameter -al, then the DGN file is opened and all
> 24000 contours are dumped to stdout.

Yes, that's expected.

> QGIS 1.7.3 on Windows does open the same DGN file.

Cool

> How can I investigate further as to why Linux ogr won't open the file
> using ?

AFAICS, OGR did open the file. It is just that without the -al option, or
specifying the layer name (elements), the features won't be listed in the
console. I don't see any issue in the above, but I've perhaps not understood
what you mean.