[gdal-dev] caching in gdal

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 08:32:00 EDT 2012

Akshay,

Caching is done independently for each opened dataset, as long as
total caching does not exceed GDAL_CACHEMAX.

You can control the size of the cache with the GDAL_CACHEMAX config
option, see the following wiki pages

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/GdalWarp

GDALRasterBand::RasterIO() takes care of caching internally so you
don't have to worry about it
GDALRasterBand::ReadBlock() is more efficient but also less flexible.

See the various ReadBlock/RasterIO/GetLockedBlockRef functions in
http://www.gdal.org/classGDALRasterBand.html

Perhaps there is a more descriptive reference somewhere?

Etienne