[gdal-dev] Performance problems

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 13:04:55 EDT 2012

On 03/17/2012 01:58 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le samedi 17 mars 2012 08:41:20, Ari Jolma a écrit :
>> Folks,
>>
>> This is a broader question, but maybe somebody can help. I've set up a
>> simple WFS based on GDAL with Perl bindings. The service loads a dataset
>> from PostGIS copies it into a GML dataset in memory and serves it from
>> there.
> Instead of storing a GML dataset in memory, it might help to pipe it directly
> to standard output (using /vsistdout/ filename). That should consume very few
> memory.

A good idea. The only issue I can think of is that it might be a good
idea to tell the client the size of the GML dataset and that's not known
beforehand. I'll make some tests with that.

I guess I could also try to catch out-of-memory errors happening in GDAL
by wrapping them with Perl eval and then bailing out more gracefully.

Cheers,

Ari