[gdal-dev] Re: gdal_translate: invalid tile byte error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 19 01:35:23 EDT 2012

On 12-03-18 06:29 AM, Andrea Peri wrote:
>>Effectively I use the libtiff 3.9.
>>Now I update to libtiff 4.0.1.
>>Recompile gdal and retry.
>>Update also the call following your suggestions.
>>
>>and using the gdaladdo to produce the overviews.
>>
>>My new batch is a set of calls like this two:
>>
>>gdal_translate -ot Byte -of GTiff -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 -a_nodata none -stats -co
>>INTERLEAVE=BAND -co PROFILE=GDALGeoTIFF -co TILED=YES -co TFW=NO input.tif
>>output.tif
>>gdaladdo -r nearest output.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128
>>
>>But again I'm having the same error in tiles creations.
>

> Hi Frank,
>
> I resolved it, using, in the gdal configuration, the Internal LibTiff ,
>
> Infact, using the internal libtiff available in the gdal source the error I
> reported was disappeared.
>
> I'm surprise that using the external LibTiff 4.0.1 in gdal compile there was
> this error.
> However the good news is that with the internal version of libtiff all work
> really well.

Andrea,

Hmm, that is odd.  The internal versiona dn 4.0.1 should be essentially
the same.  I *suspect* this is a problem with you not actually using
the version of libtiff you think you were using, but if you can file a
detailed ticket (with data) on the issue someone could try to reproduce
it with libtiff 4.