[gdal-dev] Reading DNG files with GDAL

Scott Arko saarko at alaska.edu
Wed Nov 21 10:56:31 PST 2012

Hello,

I have run into a strange issue that I haven't been able to sort out.  I
have a number of digital negative (.dng) files collected by an Aeryon Scout
UAV.  They are three band images with the bands being UInt16.  However,
when I read these images with the python gdal binding, they read as Byte
bands and half resolution.  When I use gdalinfo I get something like:

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: 2012-11-06-flight_005-012.dng
Size is 1296, 972
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2012:11:06 16:24:42
  TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=Aeryon_Scout_DNG
Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  972.0)
Upper Right ( 1296.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 1296.0,  972.0)
Center      (  648.0,  486.0)
Band 1 Block=1296x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=1296x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=1296x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

In reality, the data are 2592X1944 and the bands are UInt16.  I can read
the files with ufraw and they read fine.  Interestingly, Python Imaging
Library (PIL) also reads them like gdal.

Running gdal 1.9.0 on a MBP with Snow Leopard

Would appreciate any thoughts folks might have.

Thanks,

--
Scott Arko