[gdal-dev] GDAL and Spatialite 4.0

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Nov 30 04:07:23 PST 2012

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/spatialite-users/hunabzpRJsY

> I made a very quick trial by reading some data from Spatialite 4.0 database
> with
> GDAL-dev from gisinternals.com which is compiled with libspatialite-3.0.0.
> Reading seemed to be successful. However, I wonder if I can trust that
> spatialite 3.0 reads version 4.0 databases correctly. Should I continue to
> use
> Spatialite 3.0 databases until I can use some version of GDAL which is
> compiled
> with Spatialite 4.0?

GDAL-dev should be able to read succesfully DBs generated by spatialite 4.0
(read support of spatialite DBs in the SQLite driver doesn't require linking
against spatialite). To prevent potential issues that could occur with updates,
the SQLite driver will disable the update features if the opened DB was
generated by spatialite 4.0 but the runtime libspatialite that links with GDAL
is older than spatialite 4.0