[gdal-dev] OGR SQL: Excecuting select where column name contains "."

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Oct 8 13:42:12 PDT 2012

> There may be something wrong with TinyOWS but it must be noted that it has
> passed all the CITE tests for WFS 1.0.0 and 1.1.0.  If so well tested
> server fails with dots in the field names it is very probable that there
> are lots of other servers and clients which will fail too.

The CITE tests don't necessarily test all corner cases of implementations.
They test the requirements and the protocol of the standard, so there are
likely many holes in the test coverage. For example, I believe that a WFS/WMS
implementation can pass the CITE tests but may not behave properly with the
annoying axis ordering problem when using real world datasets (for example
when serving a shapefile that uses the standard long/lat ordering and whose
coordinates must be swapped when going from/to WFS 1.1)

I've looked at WFS 1.1 spec, and at page 17 (§7.3 Property names), I see that
the definition of the property name allows a dot character. So this is
theoretically valid...