[gdal-dev] Setting DataType in ReadAsArray

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 16 14:55:45 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Antonio Falciano <afalciano at yahoo.it> wrote:

>> Does anybody know of a way to set the data type in the call ReadAsArray.
>> It is currently reading a field as an unsigned int and it needs to be read
>> as a signed int.

> ReadAsArray returns substantially a numpy array, so you can use np
> functions and methods of conversions between data types [1]. Finally,
> the simplest way consists into using the .astype() method. Hope this helps!

Actually you probably don't want that -- .astype() does a type
conversion, and what you want is to interpret the data in a different
way -- you can use .view for that -- somethign like:

arr =... ReadAsArray(...)

arr2 = arr.view(dtype=np.int32) # or the appropriate type.

that will create a new array that points to the same data buffer, but
interpretting the buffer as the new type

though I'd think ReadAsArray would get it right....

-Chris