[gdal-dev] How to get a working version of gdal_retile.py?

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:38:40 PDT 2012

I'm trying to tile an ecw file to use in geoserver like explained here:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/tutorials/imagepyramid/imagepyramid.html

I am on Windows and have no experience with Python, so I've installed
FWTools v2.4.7 from http://fwtools.maptools.org/
When I run gdal_retile I get this error:
gdal_retile.py", line 273
    print("Building internal Index for %d tile(s) ..." % len(inputTiles),
end='')
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Looking for in on Google I found this post:
http://old.nabble.com/gdal_retile-errors-td27916035.html
It seems to be some trouble between Python v2 and v3
The post states it has been fixed in the latest gdal_retile.py.

So I downloaded that version and tried it, but now I'm getting even more
errors.

How can I get a working version of gdal_retile.py?
Or can I get a newer version of FWTools?

Thanks,

Paul Meems