[gdal-dev] How to get a working version of gdal_retile.py?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Sep 5 02:34:24 PDT 2012

Selon Paul Meems <bontepaarden at gmail.com>:

> I'm trying to tile an ecw file to use in geoserver like explained here:

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/tutorials/imagepyramid/imagepyramid.html

I've no experience with GeoServer but this would be *extremely* weird that you
would need to create an image pyramid for ECW, because, due to its compression
algorithm, ECW has "natural" pyramid in it. Other formats might require pyramids
however for good performance.

> I am on Windows and have no experience with Python, so I've installed
> FWTools v2.4.7 from http://fwtools.maptools.org/
> When I run gdal_retile I get this error:
> gdal_retile.py", line 273
>     print("Building internal Index for %d tile(s) ..." % len(inputTiles),
> end='')
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Looking for in on Google I found this post:
> http://old.nabble.com/gdal_retile-errors-td27916035.html
> It seems to be some trouble between Python v2 and v3
> The post states it has been fixed in the latest gdal_retile.py.
>
> So I downloaded that version and tried it, but now I'm getting even more
> errors.

I would have thought that grabbing latest gdal_retile.py should work, but I
haven't tested. What are precisely the new errors you get ?

But anyway, I'd recommand not using FWTools. It is no longer updated
(corresponds to a developement version before GDAL 1.6.0 release). Use OSGeo4W
or grab the builds you can find at http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ to use the
latest & greatest versions.