[gdal-dev] Rasterlite driver does not create layer statistics

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Sep 7 05:51:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

Even wrote a few weeks ago:

" I've just pushed an improvement (r24800) in which the SQLite driver can use
those cached values, if they are up-to-date. The up-to-dateness is determined
by checking that the timestamp of the last 'UpdateLayerStatistics' event
recorded in the 'spatialite_history' table matches the timestamp of the file.
When creating a new Spatialite DB or updating it with the OGR API, the SQLite
driver makes sure that the statistics are kept up-to-date automatically. "

Could it be so that even the GDAL Rasterlite driver can utilize layer statistics
if they exist, it does not create them? I just used a two days old GDAL-dev
version and I had to run SELECT UpdateLayerStatistics() manually for creating
the layer_statistics table.

It would be good to mention statistics and how they can be creted/refreshed in
the performance hints of OGR/SQLite and GDAL/Rasterlite drivers. Especially with
Rasterlite it is not at all obvious to do
ogrinfo the.db -sql "SELECT UpdateLayerStatistics()"

-Jukka Rahkonen-