[gdal-dev] Revealing /vsi*/ for users

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Sep 9 05:42:04 PDT 2012

Hi,

I started to think one day if it could be possible to read data directly from
services and files which can be accessed through internet with GDAL and I
found that it is indeed possible. However, this very nice feature in not
documented in any place that users are most often reading, like manual
pages for utilities and the list of supported formats. This document was
the one that directed me to correct path
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/ReadInZip

Perhaps the vsi* could be added as supported file format on both format
list pages
http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html
Then there might be a document page describing what vsicurl, vsimem, vsizip,
vsigzip and vsitar mean. The manual page could include examples about how
they can be used with gdalinfo, gdal_translate, ogrinfo and ogr2ogr.

-Jukka Rahkonen-