[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.10.0 Release Candidate 1 available for testing

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 11:13:01 PDT 2013

On 04/14/2013 06:49 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le dimanche 14 avril 2013 15:58:22, Ari Jolma a écrit :
>> Even,
>>
>> Sorry for looking at this so late but I think the Perl version should be
>> 1.901 because Perl versions are floating point numbers and a newer
>> version needs to have a bigger number. This change should not affect
>> building and using the Perl bindings.
> Hum, currently there are 2 version numbers :
>
>      our $VERSION = '1.10';
>      our $GDAL_VERSION = '1.10.0';
>
> Do you mean only to change the $VERSION one ? I see that for GDAL 1.9.2, it
> was our $VERSION = '1.92'; so if VERSION must be greater, perhaps this :
>
>      our $VERSION = '1.991100';
>      our $GDAL_VERSION = '1.10.0';

You're right. There may eventually be GDAL 1.9.9 (hopefully not
1.9.10...), thus 1.991 would be ok.

The GDAL_VERSION is to record the GDAL from which the Perl module is
from. It is to support the - maybe unlikely - scenario that the Perl
module is built against a GDAL already installed in the system.

>> In gdal_perl.i there is a note about a need to match the three first
>> numbers of the module version and the GDAL version but I don't remember
>> why it is there, probably it can be removed.
> I'm not sure of the implication of this comment indeed, so I'd be more
> confortable if you could experiment and commit the right fix (and remove/ammend
> the comment if it doesn't apply)

I'll do that.

>> GDAL 1.11 should then have Perl module version number 1.9011.
> Hopefully, the next major version will be 2.0

Then the version number of Perl module should be 2.000, 2.001, 2.002 etc.

Ari