[gdal-dev] Merge overviews from multiple files

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sat Apr 20 09:19:14 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM, ryagz <raghavendra at vizexperts.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded some raster data which has given me overview levels as
> different tiff files, how can i merge them into a single tiff file. so that
> when i load that file with gdal proper overviews are picked.

If your files are named file.tif, file.tif.ovr, file.tif.ovr.ovr, etc I
think that GDAL will automatically read the overviews.  gdalinfo file.tif
will show if GDAL reports the presence of the overviews.

A VRT could be used to combine the various files then gdal_translate that.
gdal_translate with COPY_SRC_OVERVIEWS=YES could create a single tif with
the overviews (more details, http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html).  I'm not
sure if COPY_SRC_OVERVIEWS will work on external overviews.

Eli