[gdal-dev] Missing geometry type when using ogr2ogr to write FileGDB

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 08:49:28 PDT 2013

When trying to use ogr2ogr (ver. 1.9) to convert a Shapefile (geometry type
Polygon) to file geodatabase (FileGDB) I'm getting an error like "FGDB
layers cannot be created with a wkbUnknown layer geometry type.":

$ ogr2ogr -f filegdb out.gdb polygon.shp

When adding -nlt it seems to work:

$ ogr2ogr -f filegdb out.gdb polygon.shp -nlt POLYGON

This is to a) an usual OGR behavior, and b) a show stopper for my script
because I don't know before hand (and won't check with ogrinfo) what
geometry type the input source is. Seems like there is a problem in the
FileGDB driver.

Can anybody confirm and explain this bug?

Yours, Stefan