[gdal-dev] Missing geometry type when using ogr2ogr to write FileGDB

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Apr 22 12:24:56 PDT 2013

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> What could be done is to have a "-nlt guess" mode in ogr2ogr, that, in case
> the source layer has an unknown geometry type, would retrieve the first
feature
> of the source layer to find the geometry type and create the target layer
> geometry type.

I guess that it would work for most cases. However, I know that in real life
the geometry of the first feature can be empty. It is also possible that WFS
feature type really contains mixed geometries. For handling them
automatically I would perhaps use Spatialite as an interim target and sort
the features by geometry types before moving them further.

-Jukka Rahkonen-