[gdal-dev] Dissolve shapefile using GDAL/OGR

Dan Strobridge dan.strobridge at westonsolutions.com
Fri Jul 19 08:23:24 PDT 2013

I'm getting the same ST_Union error as Benicio but I know I have Spatialite
(v.3.0.1-2), SQLite (3.7.10-2), and Geos (3.3.8-1) from my OSGeo4W install
on Win7.  I also tried using the GUnion function, which appears to have been
replaced by ST_Union at 3.0.0.  In fact, none of the  spatial operator
functions
<http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-3.0.0-BETA/spatialite-sql-3.0.0.html#p14>
) appear to work.

This is the first time I've tried implementing anything other than a format
conversion or a simple select query using ogr.  Could anyone suggest an
ogr2ogr command to me that would test whether it's a Spatialite/Geos
installation problem or simply a bug?

Thanks,
Dan Strobridge

+ ogr2ogr -append test6.shp poly.gmt --debug on -dialect sqlite -sql select
ST_Union(Geometry),zone from poly GROUP BY zone
OGR: OGROpen(poly.gmt/035FC9C0) succeeded as GMT.
Shape: DBF Codepage = LDID/87 for test6.shp
Shape: Treating as encoding 'ISO-8859-1'.
OGR: OGROpen(test6.shp/03615808) succeeded as ESRI Shapefile.
ERROR 1: Undefined function 'ST_Union' used.