[gdal-dev] Accessing to GRIB bands

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jun 17 15:46:24 PDT 2013

Le lundi 17 juin 2013 10:52:18, Paolo Corti a écrit :
> Hi list
> When working with NETCDF data I have always been finding extremely
> useful the NETCDF:filename:variable_name syntax.
> Now I have to process a large amount of GRIB data: do I understand
> correctly that the GRIB driver does not support such a syntax?

Yes

> In such a case, is there a way to access to a specific band with the
> gdal_translate command to export a GRIB band to a different format, or
> do I have to write script for that purpose?

From gdal_translate man page:

       -b band:
           Select an input band band for output. Bands are numbered from 1.
Multiple -b switches may be used to select a set of input bands to write to
the output file, or
           to reorder bands. Starting with GDAL 1.8.0, band can also be set to
'mask,1' (or just 'mask') to mean the mask band of the first band of the input
dataset.

> thanks in advance!
> regards

Geospatial professional services