[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr and PostGIS 2.0

EdH ed.hudspeth at nnpa.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 07:19:43 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to extract a table from PostGIS into a shapefile. Using the
command:

"c:\Program Files\Quantum GIS Lisboa\bin\ogr2ogr.exe" -f "ESRI Shapefile"
c:\test\planning.shp PG:"host=w2k3nnpgis1 user=postgres dbname=mapdata
password=********" "dm_planning-apps"

And I get this error:

ERROR 1: No field definitions found for 'dm_planning-apps', is it a table?
FAILURE: Couldn't fetch requested layer 'dm_planning-apps'!

Using the same command with a different db connection works fine. The
difference being that the failure happens on PostgreSQL 9.1.4 with PostGIS
2.0 installed, and I think the other db is on an older installation (I don't
manage the working one).

Judging by other posts it seems like ogr2ogr thinks that the data isn't in
the geomety_columns table, however I notice PostGIS 2.0 has replaced the
geometry columns table with a 'view'. Might this be anything to do with it?

Many thanks if anyone can help with this.