[gdal-dev] GDAL Question about the band/frequence information

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 28 07:12:45 PDT 2013

I was recently looking into for some code I'm writing in R using rgdal, and
I wanted to see if we could generate some new effort on this.  While the
way each file format specifies RS information may be different, there are
some standard pieces of info that could be read/stored in a meaningful way
with GDAL.  Minimally, band wavelength and some storage of the units would
be really helpful.  I would think amongst the various RS software formats
(ENVI, Imagine, PCI Geomatica), we could come to a consensus on what
metadata might be common.

I am happy to consult on this, but I'm not capable of coding this sort of
thing myself.

Does anyone want to discuss this on/offline?

--j

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Shuqing,
>
> GDAL does not have a well defined name for metadata describing a bands
> wavelength.  Some data products carry this in their metadata and it
> may be carried through via the GDAL generic metadata at either the
> band or dataset level.  Running gdalinfo against a file will show such
> generic metadata if it exists.  If not, you are out of luck.  :-(  In
> any event since there is no consistent approach to this you are going
> to be stuck doing product specific things, likely based on researching
> the each sensor yourself.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Shuqing Chen <chenshuqing82 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello GDAL Developers,
> >
> > I have intergrated your GDAL library in my Multi Spectra analysis
> Project.
> > It works very well and ease to use.
> > A question is how can I find the band/frequence information for each
> band in
> > image dataset? Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Shuqing Chen

> --

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: 217-300-1924
http://www.geog.illinois.edu/~jgrn/