[gdal-dev] Issues with WFS driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat May 25 01:44:04 PDT 2013

Hi Ari,

> Another thing related to streaming mode.

I fail to see how below is related to streaming mode... This is a generic
behaviour of the GML driver

> I was wondering why the geometries the WFS were not being parsed by the
> client. It turns out that GDAL uses the tag "geometryProperty" by
> default (ogrgmllayer.cpp:601). The WFS I have uses the field name from
> PostGIS when replying to the DescribeFeatureType request. So I need to
> add a hack to the server to always use the "geometryProperty" tag.
>
> This seems to be a small deficiency in GDAL; that it doesn't have the
> concept of a field name for geometries. This may limit the usability of
> GDAL as a component of a WFS.

The issue is that, as far as I've understood, you use a schema not generated
by the GML driver with GML output generated by the GML driver.

OGR layers have a concept of GetGeometryColumn(), in read mode. The GML driver
is able to read a GML whose geometry name is not "geometryProperty". What
could be done is to add a layer creation option to specify a geometry name
instead of the default "geometryProperty". Would you be interested in that ?

> Ari

Geospatial professional services