[gdal-dev] Issues with WFS driver

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat May 25 02:04:42 PDT 2013

On 05/25/2013 11:44 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi Ari,
>
>> Another thing related to streaming mode.
> I fail to see how below is related to streaming mode... This is a generic
> behaviour of the GML driver

Because it appears when GDAL uses the DescribeFeatureType request's
output as a gfs...(?) maybe, I think :)

>> I was wondering why the geometries the WFS were not being parsed by the
>> client. It turns out that GDAL uses the tag "geometryProperty" by
>> default (ogrgmllayer.cpp:601). The WFS I have uses the field name from
>> PostGIS when replying to the DescribeFeatureType request. So I need to
>> add a hack to the server to always use the "geometryProperty" tag.
>>
>> This seems to be a small deficiency in GDAL; that it doesn't have the
>> concept of a field name for geometries. This may limit the usability of
>> GDAL as a component of a WFS.
> The issue is that, as far as I've understood, you use a schema not generated
> by the GML driver with GML output generated by the GML driver.

Could the driver do it? Ok, I see InsertHeader method in
OGRGMLDataSource class, which would perhaps be the one to do it, but it
is probably not open in the bindings. Which is why I used Perl tools to
query PostGIS and reply to DescribeFeatureType request.

> OGR layers have a concept of GetGeometryColumn(), in read mode. The GML driver
> is able to read a GML whose geometry name is not "geometryProperty". What
> could be done is to add a layer creation option to specify a geometry name
> instead of the default "geometryProperty". Would you be interested in that ?

I think the right thing to do would be to open the schema methods to the
bindings. But then it would be first needed in the OGR C API. But is the
schema method a generic thing for a DataSource and thus something for
the API? Hm.

Ari