[gdal-dev] Slow convertion from OSM to PG with -skipfailures

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon May 27 07:47:09 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have measured a huge speed difference by running the same conversion from
OSM data file into PostGIS either with or without using the -skipfailures
parameter.

Without -skipfailures conversion takes about two minutes but if I add the
parameter it takes at least two hours. The command I used is this

ogr2ogr -f PostgreSQL PG:"dbname='gis' host='server' port='4326' user='user'
password='passwd'" finland.osm.pbf -gt 20000 -progress
--config OSM_COMPRESS_NODES YES  -lco DIM=2 -lco geometry_name=geoloc
-lco fid=fid -skipfailures  --config PG_USE_COPY YES

I wonder if it really needs to be so slow. My guess is that -skipfailures
somehow invalidates my -gt 20000 parameter.

-Jukka Rahkonen-