[gdal-dev] GDal with CMake

Sumit Kumar dost_4_ever at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 03:44:42 PDT 2013

Dear All
I was searching for a clean implementation to build GDal using CMake. Barring a project started by Aashish a couple of years ago, and a trac page listing the need for building such an implementation (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CMake), I could not find anything.
I have placed a first version of a cleaner way to build GDal with CMake on github
https://github.com/skn123/-gdal_cmake
Currently, I have the following issues with this build structure and would solicit help from other developers in modularizing it:
a.) The use of global if-def's makes the project highly non-modular; More so if we want to add support for other formats (e.g., in the frmts folder), we will trigger a rebuild of the entire library
b.) Currently, this build has been tested on Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 64Bit. It would be nice if users can report their build experiences on Linux and OsX.
c.) For now, OpenCL and Hdf5 are supported as 3rd party libraries.

Thanks and Regards
Sumit