[gdal-dev] Creative project for parade float: seeking a good projection to match beach ball print template

Christopher Stevens owntheweb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:49:16 PDT 2013

Hello GDAL Gurus,
I know this request is different, but I send many thanks in advance for
taking a look.

My non-profit organization is creating a small parade float containing
several planets (beach balls), printed by a company asking to fit artwork
in a template that looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8139783@N08/10409243763/

I have all the equirectangular projections I need, but need to figure out
how to break it up and distort it to fit the template. Since this isn't a
fine science, I could probably get away with slicing, bloating and pinching
in Photoshop. I was wondering if there was a good projection however that I
could use in gdalwarp to break an equirectangular projection into eight 45
degree "peels" that make up the beach balls to be printed (it would sure
make my day).

Any thoughts? I truly appreciate the feedback.

Best regards,

Chris