[gdal-dev] Spatialite Insert Performance

Bob Cave bobc at bluemarblegeo.com
Tue Sep 17 13:22:09 PDT 2013

Hello,

I have written a program that uses GDAL 1.9.1 to insert data into a
SQLite/Spatialite database, and I am running into performance problems with
large amounts of data.  The SQLite/Spatialite section of the OGR
documentation says, "The -gt argument allows to explicitly set the number of
rows for each transaction. Explicitly defining -gt 1024 usually ensures a
noticeable performance boost; defining an even bigger -gt 65536 ensures
optimal performance while populating some table containing many hundredth
thousand or million rows." Apparently, the value associated with the -gt
parameter instructs OGR to commit the data after that number of rows have
been inserted.

How can I set the value associated with the -gt argument from within my
program?  Is there another way to optimize performance when inserting many
rows?

Thank you,

Bob